Why do I have to Lock my LMAP machine?

Plugin to gather information from Flexera's license manager software
Admin
Site Admin

Why do I have to Lock my LMAP machine?

Postby Admin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:35 pm

Why do I have to lock my License Manager Agent Plugin machine instead of logging out?

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Why do I have to Lock my LMAP machine?

Postby Admin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:37 pm

The License Manager Agent Plugin, is a component that is used in conjunction with the Agent.

Short Story
In Process Meter 3.5 (and below) the Agent only runs when a user is logged in. If the user logs out, the Agent stops sending data to the Manager, therefore in order to keep reporting License Usage, a user must be logged in on the License Manager server to have the Agent run.

Long Story / History
Our 3.x Agent was initially designed to monitor user activity – running only when the user logs in…
This initially solved our goals for monitoring applications…

Then we added the ability for the Agent to load plugins (which gave us even more flexibility to extend functionality)
Eg: Software and Hardware inventories

Then we created the LMAP (License Manager Agent Plugin) but quickly realized, putting the LMAP on a server machine
where LMUtils runs, typically means the user logs out… As a result of our early architectural decisions,
the user must remain logged into the License Server in order for the Agent to remain connected to the Manager.

Our 4.0 release will fix all of the limitations of having a user logged in for both the Manager and the Agents.

Return to “License Manager Agent”